Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Chain Me!

Don’t get me wrong – I’m all for a good dose of encouragement via email.  But when it comes with stipulations attached I get a little leery.  I‘m starting to fancy these seemingly well meaning emails as some form of a Christian hex.   Generally, the intent of these emails is benign, passing along a good laugh or words to lift your spirits.  But here’s the kicker – at the end of each you are instructed to forward OR ELSE!    Are there incantations being placed over URL addresses the moment someone presses delete?   What happens if I don’t forward said iprayer, itestimony, or iscripture of the week?  Well, your blessings get rescinded of course silly!  POOF, BE GONE BLESSINGS!  Oh and don’t forget the possibility of being plagued by a few menial curses.  Swatting away at locust as they airlift your ham and cheese sandwich into oblivion is a lunch break nuisance that one hopes will lend itself to a Passover option.  The last chain mail I received was a heartfelt prayer with a picture of Jesus blazoning in the background.  It ended with a promise to strip me of job opportunities and vanquish my loved ones if I failed to forward it to at least twenty people.  And well, I promptly deleted it.  Normally, I'm pretty tickled with this Christian brand of cyber antics.  But I must admit after this latest mouse click of good riddance I felt a twinge of worry.  I thought, 'What if?'  It felt a little too daring.  What would a REAL Christian do?  How would a bonafide holy roller handle such a dilemma?  Would they forward or would they delete?  Well, since I'm not in danger of achieving sainthood - I have no clue.  But maybe offering up a 'hail Mary' and avoiding all cracks on a stroll to Damascus will suffice in my case.   Who knows?  I think I'll do what any card carrying Christian would do.  Pray?  Nah, this situation requires a more practical tactic, a rabbit's foot with a four leaf clover between its toes lightly spritz with holy water to be placed in my pant pocket.  Yep, sounds like a straight and narrow plan to me!  

  
  

No comments: